Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Day 4

In Dublin today we had probably our last cabinet meeting with a packed agenda. Whilst I'm no longer a TD, I still have Ministerial responsibilities - the country can't grind to a halt just b because of an election. During the election period I'm supposed to be technically unemployed!!! The mood around the cabinet table was positive with many of my colleagues reporting positive responses on the doorsteps. That's good but it worries me if you don't get the odd telling off on the doorstep. I remember in '92 we got a very positive response on the doorstep and when it came to polling day we got a bit of a drubbing!!!!

I've instructed canvassers to listen carefully to each query, complaint or tirade. It's important that we get a clear picture what's going on with the electorate. I also asked them to remind people that all parties have identified the issues to be dealt with but that Fianna Fáil is the only party that has the track record, experience and ability to deliver those changes. That's what this election is about - who can deliver for the Irish people - not change for the sake of change.

I was one of the three Ministers at a press launch today for Fianna Fail's manifesto on tax. Fianna Fail's tax plans will mean that 97% of earners gain more than any other parties'. This measure is aimed primarily at the lower and middle income earners. For example a single earner on the average wage will earn of €1,000 over the lifetime of the next government.

This is an example of the kind of practical measure that FF has a long history of delivering. We are and have always been focussed on working with the Irish people to facilitate them in furthering themselves.

No comments: